Know Before You Ride! Tips from a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer.

As members of the motorcycle community, we simply cannot wait to get onto the open road and do what we love most… ride.

But before riding on the open roads in Florida, it is important to be well-educated on Florida states laws and how they affect you. At Michles & Booth, we aren’t just motorcycle accident lawyers. We ride as well, and we are here for you.

Do I need to take a special riders course in order to legally ride in Florida? 

The State of Florida requires that new motorcyclists (regardless of age) take and pass the Basic Rider Course through the Florida Rider Training Program before they get a motorcycle only license or can have the Motorcycle Endorsement added to their driver’s license.

  • The Florida Rider Training Program will teach you effective turning, braking maneuvers, protective apparel selection, obstacle avoidance, traffic strategies, and responsible attitudes.
  • Information on sponsors who teach the courses in your area can be found here:
  • Upon successful completion, the sponsor will submit the pass results electronically to the department records. Upon receiving the results, the applicant will be processed for a motorcycle endorsement. An endorsement fee is applicable, and more information can be found on fees here:

How can I get a motorcycle endorsement on my current driver’s license?

If you already have a Florida drivers license, you can get a motorcycle endorsement on the drivers license you hold. To obtain your motorcycle endorsement, you must show proof that you have completed the Florida Rider Program.

What if I don’t have a Florida Drivers License? 

In order to operate a Motorcycle in the State of Florida you must have a state issued drivers license, and then apply for the motorcycle endorsement. In order to apply for a drivers license in Florida, you must be at least 16 years old and have held a learners permit for at least a year with no traffic convictions. If you are over 18 you are not required to have held a learners permit. You must pass the standard class E operators license test that all drivers take to get a drivers license and complete the Basic Riders Course through the Florida Rider Training Program.

Remember, Florida has new documentation requirements for residents renewing or obtaining a new driver license or identification card. For office visits, you must bring original documents that prove your identitysocial security number and residential address. You must have all your identification documents with you at the time of application. 

If you are ever injured in a motorcycle accident, we are here to help. Give us a call to schedule a free consultation with one of our motorcycle accident lawyers: (800) 848-6168.


Do Not Wait to Take a Stand

Let Us Fight on Your Team Today
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.