Car Accident Lawyers in Fort Walton Beach
Fighting to Recover Car Crash Victims Their Maximum Compensation
If a negligent driver injured you in a car accident, you likely have the right to file a lawsuit against them and seek full compensation for any damages suffered. This may include the cost of medical care and rehabilitation, any loss of earnings/future earning capacity, and vehicular property damage, as well as pain and suffering, mental anguish, emotional distress, and more.
Unfortunately, negligent parties and their insurance companies will most likely attempt to pay you as little as they can get away with. Don’t let these parties make you a victim twice. Our attorney team at Michles & Booth has a history of winning multi-million-dollar verdicts and settlements for our clients in a range of personal injury cases. No firm can guarantee favorable results, but we are committed to applying the same acclaimed legal skills to all cases we litigate.
Put experience in your corner. Contact a Fort Walton Beach car accident lawyer online today to get your free case review.
Understanding Your Legal Rights as a Car Accident Victim
In the state of Florida, car accident victims can recover compensation if they are able to prove that the accident was someone else’s fault. Typically, this is done using the four following elements:
- The other driver owed you a standard of care: By being on the road and operating a vehicle, all drivers are obligated to conduct themselves and their vehicles with regard for others.
- The other driver was negligent and violated this standard of care: This essentially means that the other driver disregarded the safety of others on the road. Distracted, fatigued, and intoxicated driving are all forms of negligence that fulfill this requirement.
- The other driver’s negligence led to an accident: Sometimes, a driver may act negligently without causing an accident. Therefore, you must be able to prove that the accident was a direct result of the other driver’s negligence.
- You were injured in this accident and accumulated damages: To prove this, you must show evidence that your injury (e.g. brain injury, spine injury, etc.) was sustained during the accident, as well as that your injury caused you to suffer damages, such as pay cuts due to time missed from work to heal.
These four elements may seem simple to prove, but as mentioned, the other party is likely to mount a strong defense against you to make it seem as though no real harm was done. Fortunately, an attorney can help protect you from being cheated out of your rightful compensation.
What Is Pure Comparative Negligence?
The state follows a policy of pure comparative negligence, which mandates that plaintiffs (the injured person filing suit) has a legal right to be compensated for their injuries without needing to prove that the other party was 100% at fault. This is good news for you as a plaintiff: You will only need to establish that the other driver was at least partially at fault for the accident and, therefore, your injuries. Thus, the only impact shared liability will have on your case is that your recovery will be reduced accordingly.
Please note that although you will present evidence of both liability and the damages you have incurred, the court has the final say on these matters. If the court rules that you incurred $10,000 in damages from a traffic collision for which you were 75% liable, you will only be compensated for 75% of those damages. In this scenario, that would mean $7,500.
Hiring a Lawyer After a Car Accident
Many car accident victims wait to seek legal help until after they speak to insurance. There are, however, many benefits to hiring a car accident lawyer as early on as possible; this is particularly true when you have suffered a catastrophic injury. For example, a lawyer will be able to help you:
- Determine the value of your case
- Reconstruct the accident to identify evidence
- Negotiate with the insurance company
- Prepare a comprehensive lawsuit
- Advocate for your rights in court
- Consult witnesses and industry experts
We understand that taking legal action can seem distressing when you are trying to focus on healing. If you work with Michles & Booth, it does not have to be. We will dexterously handle the legal complexities of your case and address any issues as they arise. Let our experienced trial lawyers guide you along the path to justice.
Call a Car Accident Attorney Today
Our legal team comprises award-winning attorneys who genuinely care about each and every case they take on. More than 80 years of experience is shared by our attorneys, as well as acclaim from The Florida Bar, the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum, Super Lawyers®, and The National Trial Lawyers, among others. If you have been injured in an auto accident, you deserve premier representation — let us help you exercise your legal rights.
Call (800) 848-6168 today to connect with a seasoned car accident attorney in Fort Walton Beach.
Care for Our Community
Our firm is extremely active in the community, and we are committed to giving back.
With a team of over 80 staff, you will receive the attention and care that you deserve!
Our firm has the experience and the qualifications to fight and win for you.
No Case Is Too Big or Too Small
Our team is dedicated to our clients, and we are not afraid to take a case to trial.